Re: Generating ICs using N-GenIC

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 11:15:12 +0200

> On 31. Aug 2019, at 13:25, Bishu <bishoophy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> I am trying to use GADGET 2 for my research and I am generating the initial conditions using the N-GenIC code. The parameter file that comes with the tarball has a parameter Nsample. The value of Nasmple is cubed to get the total number of particles.

This is not really correct - the particle number is *not* Nsample^3.

> There is also a file called dummy_glass.dat in the tarball N-GenIC.tar.gz. I have found that changing the variable TileFac in ics.param changes the total number of particles. What is the connection between Nsample and TileFac is my question. Thank you for your time.

The particle number is determined by whatever particle number of particles is in the glass file, say Nglass, as well as the tile factor:

   Npart = Nglass * TileFac^3

For a given Npart, one normally sets Nsample = Npart^(1/3), but one could also choose it differently in certain cases.

Regards,
Volker Springel