Re: ordering of particles

From: Yves Revaz <Yves.Revaz_at_obs.unige.ch>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:02:44 +0100

Pedro Colin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have simulated a galaxy (disk + dm halo) with multiple species. Disk and
>(first species) dm halo are located within the same type (1 in this case).
>So, initially the first 1 to Ndisk are disk particles and Ndisk+1,...,
>Nspecies(1) are dm particles. Later, this is not the case (gadget2
>parallel), they are mixed. I thought I could bring the particles back into
>original order by assuming that now id(1), ..., id(Ndisk) are the ids of
>disk particles; that is, for example, pos(1,id(i)), where i=1, Ndisk, are
>the position of the disk particles. Well, this is not the case, so I

No, this is not correct.
If, in your initial condition file, a certain particle i
as has its id = 7 (P.ID[i]=7), to find this same particle in another
snapshot,
you have to find the particle j with P.ID[j]=7.

Thus, in your case, when creating your initial conditions, you
first have to record the id for the DM (let's create the vector id_dm)
and for the disk (vector id_disk) independently.
Then in a certain snapshot, to find DM particles, you just have to
find all particles that have an id in id_dm.

I hope it will help.

Regards.