Re: Creating a Debian package for gadget2

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 20:27:21 +0100

Hi Ole,

Thanks for your interest in doing this. However, I should point out one thing: Gadget2 is configured for specific types of simulation through a bunch of compile-time options, i.e. one typically creates a new executable for each simulation one wants to do. I’m afraid, this severely limits the utility of any precompiled binary...

On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Ole Streicher <debian-devel_at_liska.ath.cx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently preparing a Debian package for gadget2 [1], and I have a few qestions:
>
> There are basically two homepages:
>
> http://wwwmpa.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/gadget/
> http://wwwmpa.mpa-garching.mpg.de/gadget/
>
> which seem quite similar. However, the first one offers "gadget-2.0.7.tar.gz" (and an n-genic.tar.gz IC code), but the second one just a "gadget2.tar.gz" (and no iC-code). Which one is the recent one?

Both are identical. (The second file is a symbolic link to the version 2.0.7)

> Second question is about HDF-5. I could compile the code with the Debian version of hdf5 (1.8.8) when I apply the -DH5_USE_16_API flag. Is this OK or will it run into problems?

This would be OK.

> Finally, the example ICs that come with the code seem to be a problem for the packaging: Debian requires that everything is built from the sources, but the source of these files seems to be not distributed with the package, right? Is there a way to re-generate them somehow? Otherwise, I would need to leave them out, which would make it much harder for a beginner to start.

Regenerating these files would require to include various initial conditions codes as well. This is not readily possible.

Regards,
Volker