Creating Gadget2 initial conditions with Starscream

From: Jay Billings <jayjaybillings_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:38:56 -0400

Dear fellow Gadgeteers,

I wanted to email you to let you know about a code for creating initial
conditions for Gadget2. I wrote this code, called Starscream, over the past
few months and wanted to make it available to anyone who would be interested
in studying galaxy collisions.

Starscream uses a Springel-Hernquist model to create a pair of galaxies that
can be collided in any N-body code, Gadget2 in particular. Users can read
and write Gadget2 snapshots of previous collisions, create new galaxies, or
load galaxies from snapshots AND place them on an orbit with a new galaxy.

The code is new and largely untested, but available for download at
http://materials.chem.utk.edu/~jaybilly/tools/starscream/<http://materials.chem.utk.edu/%7Ejaybilly/tools/starscream/>.
There are some sample movies available on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/jayjaybillings . A copy of the user's manual is also
available at
http://materials.chem.utk.edu/~jaybilly/tools/starscream/starscream_usermanual.pdf<http://materials.chem.utk.edu/%7Ejaybilly/tools/starscream/starscream_usermanual.pdf>,
if anyone is interested.

I hope to add many new features in the coming months and look forward to any
user feedback if any of you use the code and find errors.

All the Best,

Jay Billings