Re: Segmentation fault

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 18:03:51 +0100

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:44, Craig Rudick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been attempting to switch from Gadget1 to Gadget2, but have
> been running into the problem that Gadget2 produces a segmentation
> fault and dies when we try to run the example initial conditions. The
> segmentation fault almost always occurrs during or immediately
> following the first domain decomposition, with output that reads:
>
> domain decomposition...
> Segmentation fault
>
> We have tried compiling using both the Portland Group and Intel
> compilers and see the same behavior.
>
> The really frustrating part is that we only get this error depending on
> both on the initial conditions used, and the number or processors on
> which it is run. That is, the 'cluster' example IC runs perfectly on
> up to 16 nodes, however all of the other example ICs will run only on
> four or fewer nodes (2 processors per node).
>
> Has anyone seen similar errors with Gadget2 or have any ideas on what
> might be the solution to this error?

Hi Craig,

This is strange. I can't reproduce this problem on any of the machines I
have access to (which are a few), and I also haven't heard from anyone
else experiencing this error. It could be related to the set-up of your
cluster and/or the compiler/MPI library you are using. I'd suggest to
compile with the gcc-compiler (with -g) and look at the core file that's
produced by the crash with a debugger. If the crash is reproducible, this
would tell you if it is caused by gadget2, and where this happens.

Volker