Re: Restart file strategy

From: Volker Springel <vspringel_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 10:05:17 +0200

Dear Robin,

Thanks for this additional information. The excessive time comes from the gravitational unbinding in SUBFIND. This is basically this line:
SUBFIND: subfind_hbt_single_group() processing for Ngroups=28848 took 39163.5 sec

I think this is because of the parameter setting ErrTolTheta=0.5 you used, which gives an excessively small opening angle for the BH opening criterion. The latter is always used for the gravitational potential calculation in the unbinding procedure of SUBFIND. It will be perfectly fine in terms of accuracy to use a considerably larger value here, say 0.9 or 0.95. The computation time for the gravitational tree walk is very sensitive to ErrTolTheta, so I think this is likely the primary cause of the slowness of subfind you've experienced when processing the lightcone particles (in addition, the lightcone contained many halos, of course).

Bests,
Volker