Re: Newtonian simulations of dark matter only sphere

From: Sten Delos <sten_at_unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 16:02:51 -0400

While I'm not quite clear on the initial conditions here, I would propose
that the cuspless outcome may be real. Cusps appear in simulations of
overdense regions surrounded by a dark matter background. I've found that
if I surround the region with vacuum instead, I obtain a much less
pronounced cusp.

In other words, if you're just simulating a uniformly dense sphere, try
surrounding it with a less uniformly dense background. You can still have
vacuum boundary conditions at some radius, of course---that radius just has
to be large enough to not be collapsing at the same time as the halo is
first forming.

- Sten Delos