Re: Creating a Debian package for gadget2

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:29:34 +0100

Hi Ole,

The reason for this lies basically in the need to optimize memory consumption and also speed for every mode the code is run in.

In Gadget-1 I still tried to follow the philosophy of having only one executable for all types of simulations (which has obvious advantages). But this eventually turned out to cause too much overhead in certain cases, for example by having variables in the central structures describing a particle that are not needed for certain types of runs. Wasting this space is not really an option for us. We therefore have to interfere at the source code level, even if this is ugly.

It would certainly be possible to get rid off a number of the compile time options and move them to the parameterfile, but some of these options will remain, and hence the fundamental issue cannot be eliminated easily.

Best regards,
Volker