High resolution SPH simulations stalling

From: Scott Wales <wales_at_physics.usyd.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:38:41 +1100

Hi all,

I've been trying to run some high resolution cosmological simulations, with 512^3 particles in each of cdm and sph in an 80 Mpc box, but have found that when the simulation gets to a redshift of ~1 the timesteps become extremely small, Dloga being on the order of 10^-7 after starting out being 0.03 at redshift 30. With the timestep being this small I am unable to continue the simulation as it is barely moving.

I was wondering if anyone with experience running this sort of resolution simulations had any suggestions for getting around this?

Cheers,

Scott Wales