Re: Tree memory parameters and PMGRID size

From: Jay Billings <jayjaybillings_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:09:05 -0400

Dear Mark,

I might be able to answer your questions about the PMGRID. The value of
PMGRID is the size of the grid in each dimension. The PM routine in
Gadget is used to determine the long-range forces, so this grid spans
the entire volume.

About your first question: Have you tried decreasing the number of
processors? I have experienced the same "maximum number of nodes-reached
error" many times. I can easily reproduce this error with the 60,000
particle galaxy collision test case by running it on twenty processors.
However, if I decrease the number of processors to four or so, then the
problem runs in about fifteen to thirty minutes without error. I
normally run 100,000 particles on fifteen processors and it takes about
an hour.

Hope this helps!

Jay