Re: cooling, heating and temperature oscillation

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:13:44 +0200

Hi Yves,

You need to solve the cooling part in the energy equation with an
implicit time-integration scheme to cure this problem.

For example, the new energy (or entropy) at the end of the timestep can
be computed as

      u' = u + (du/dt)_visc * dt + (du/dt)'_cool * dt

Here (du/dt)'_cool is the cooling rate evaluated for the *new*
temperature u'. It's a bit cumbersome to solve this equation (will
require some iterative scheme), but then your oscillations should be gone.

Volker