Re: Unit Conversion

From: Brad Krane <brad.krane_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:27:41 -0400

The velocities that I am trying to convert are peculiar velocities in
units of proper km/s. The velocities are definitely not physical
because when I use the conversion v_gadget = v_pec/sqrt(a) = (v_phys -
v_comov)/sqrt(a) = (v_phys - x/a)/sqrt(a) where x is the particles
position in comoving coordinates. This gives me screwy results as the
velocities are supposed to peculiar velocities already.

However if I simply use v_gadget = v_pec/sqrt(a) I get structures that
form much too slowly. Even if I use v_gadget = v_pec/a things happen
too slowly but not nearly as slowly as the former method. I am
comparing these runs to the Santa Barbra (SB) IC of the same cosmology
(that I am aware of anyway) where I converted from the SB IC format
directly to Gadget2 format.

The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe there is a
difference between the peculiar velocities in units of proper km/s to
peculiar velocities in units of gadget2. Is there a real difference
here between km/s in proper units and km/s in gadget2?

--
Brad