Re: variable particle number

From: luca tornatore <tornatore_at_ts.astro.it>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:25:10 +0200

> Hello!

hi.. being on-line and having some time.. just to begin the discussion
in the list..

> Is there elegant solution to make a storage with variable number of
> particles?

if by "elegant" you mean "already built-in", the answer is "no", to my
knowledge.

> It's possible to mark 'dead' or `nonexisting' particles as particles
> with Type < 0 for example droping them out from all loops, and when
> particle becomes 'alive' we need to place it into the gravitational
> tree.

on the other hand, assigning a negative P.Type will automatically drop
out particles from all hydro loops.
anyway, loops doing gravity are generally written as
for(i = 0; i < NumPart; i++)
{
}
with no check on the Type. You should eventually put it.

> Is it enough or some problems are possible in this way?

simply hiding a particle should end in some problem about conservation
of momentum, angular momentum, energy etc.. probably i don't understand
exactly your plan.

luca