Re: [Gadget 4] SPH simulation with adaptive softening length

From: Xiaolong Du <xdu_at_carnegiescience.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 15:24:09 -0700

Dear Volker,

Thank you very much for fixing this issue. I ran one test with the update. Now it runs fine.

But I have one related question. When ADAPTIVE_HYDRO_SOFTENING is used, we usually expect that the energy will not be well conserved because the softening length may change with time. I found one paper by Iannuzzi and Dolag discussing this problem

https://arxiv.org/abs/1107.2942

(see Fig. 2 and Eq. 8)

They proposed to add a correction term (Eq. 8) to the gravitational acceleration similar to what one usually does for the hydro acceleration. Is there any plan that this correction will be included in a future version of Gadget?

Best,
Xiaolong