Re: Newtonian simulations of dark matter only sphere

From: Cameron McBride <cameron.mcbride_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:38:44 -0400

My guess here is that you need to adapt your gravitational softening in
Gadget-2. I've been out of actively following the literature for the last
~5ish years, but there was a host of papers that talk about cusp - core
connection to gravitational softening that can change the cusp vs core.
It's a little bit of a numerical quagmire, as you can tune softening to act
differently (and there are tradeoffs even if you force a strict N^2
calculation, which Gadget-2 typically doesn't). I also suggest you don't
use grid, but tree only configurations.

I think Zavala et al 2019 or Kuhlen et al 2012 might discuss aspects of
this. There are some older articles, like Boylan-Kolchin et al 2005 that
might also discuss some of it.

Others might have more insight, but hopefully that might help you start
digging deeper.

Cameron