Re: Tabulated Power Spectrum and Initial Conditions

From: Antonio Bibiano <antbbn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:18:23 +0200

> You cannot really use the fitting functions for P(k) together with "ReNormalizeInputSpectrum=0" because the fitting functions are not normalized, they just give the shape of the linear power spectrum. In fact, ReNormalizeInputSpectrum=0 is ignored in this case and the spectrum at z=0 is always normalized to the specified sigma8.
>
> For a tabulated spectrum, it is also highly recommended to *not* use "ReNormalizeInputSpectrum=0", but rather let the code do the normalization through "ReNormalizeInputSpectrum=1". The former should only be useful in very special circumstances.

Ok, i understand this, but I was wondering why the normalization
calculated by NGenIC was so different (calculated a sigma8 ~ 15) from
the one given by CAMB or CLASS or in general for the usual value of
sigma8 ~ 0.8.
So i tried to understand how it is calculated by looking at the code
and it boils down to the integral of
4 * Pi * k^2 * w^2 k^(Primordialndex-1) P(k)
whereas the usual formula (the one used by CAMB and CLASS i believe) is
1/(2 Pi^2) k^2 w^2 P(k)
So i was wondering why it is calculated in this way, i suppose this is
for some internal workings of the program?
Maybe now i am just getting too technical and i am worring to bother
you all with this discussion but i just wanted to understand and i got
tangled in this thing. Hope this helps someone at some point.