Black hole particles where no black hole particles should be...

From: Christian Mazakas <mutant.john_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:11:19 -0700

Hello Gadget General Discussion Mailing List (by subject),

I have an IC file of two identical Sbc galaxies with some separation
distance between them.

So far, I've been using Gadget1 to run the simulation of their merging
and it's been working fine.

However, with Gadget2 it's seeding each galaxy with their own black hole
particle. All the other particle numbers are the same though so that
part of the code is behaving correctly but there is something setting
the number of black holes to something non-zero.

The thing is, the code I used to generate the Sbc galaxies doesn't even
have the option of creating black hole particles so I suspect that
Gadget2 is making up some sort of empty dummy particle which might also
explain why the code I normally use to read in snapshots isn't liking my
Gadget2 output.