Re: TreeAllocFactor

From: Yves Revaz <yves.revaz_at_epfl.ch>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:43:22 +0100

micic_at_physics.usyd.edu.au wrote:
> Hi,
>

> TreeAllocFactor should be at least 0.65, recommended is 0.8, if
> necessary it can go up to 1.5 (from previous threads on this subject). I
> would like to know is there an upper limit for the value of this factor.
> How is the performance of the code affected if this factor goes to 2.0 or
> even higher? The way I see it, at some maximum value, we end up with a
> particle per node, right?
>
> Miroslav

Hi Miroslav,

TreeAllocFactor is used to allocate memory to the tree, at the beginning
of the run.
It does not mean that a large tree will be created (the structure and
size of the tree
is always determined by the particle distribution and OpeningCriterion
parameter).
However, in some cases (particles at very large distances or clumpy
structures),
the tree needs to be extended and will consume more memory. In that
cases, a larger
TreeAllocFactor is necessary.

So, a higher TreeAllocFactor does not affect the code performance.
Except, obviously,
if you are out of memory ;-) .

Cheers,

yves