Re: velocity units

From: Melanie Jo Clarke <mjdosaj_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:05:39 -0500

Hello,

My confusion stemmed from several things:
1) Given that the canonical momentum is p = a^2 * dx/dt, I couldn't see
where a
factor of sqrt(a) came in. I didn't know it was there for historical reasons,
so I tried to derive it. Although the equations given in your paper involved
p, it was stated in the manual that the time variable was ln(a), so I
went from
there. In reference to the conversion, the manual only stated that the
velocity
was in internal units.
2) sqrt(a) didn't work for me, so I tried to find something that did.
I should
have asked sooner where the factor came from.

I'm sorry, I misspoke when I mentioned the physical velocity. I meant the
peculiar velocity, of course. Also, the factor I gave was not d(ln a)/dt,
which is H(t), but d(ln a)/d(tau), where d(tau)=Ho*dt/a^2. I should have
composed my thoughts better before sending the email.

Thank you for your careful and patient reply. I am in conversation
with Michele
Trenti, who has generously offered to help me solve my conversion problems.

- Melanie