Re: Star formation

From: Volker Springel <volker_at_MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:32:16 +0100

Fabrice DURIER wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Presently, I'm trying to introduce a mechanism to form stars on
> Gadget1 (unfortunately Gadget2 does not work yet on our Alpha machine:
> it compiles with mpich1.2.6 but crashes after a few steps without any
> particular error message, just *p0_882848: p4_error: interrupt SIGFPE:
> 8*...)

Unlike most other machines I know, Alpha's are often set-up such that
they terminate a process if a floating point exception (e.g. division by
zero) happens. This is apparently what happened for you when using
gadget2. I suspect this could have happened simply in one of the log
messages, e.g. when the force speed is computed, i.e. in an uncritical
place.

To find out exactly where it happened, I'd suggest to compile the code
with "-g" and to let it produce a core-dump when the SIGFPE happens.
where it happened, which will probably be easy to fix.

Unfortunately, MPICH has the habit to disable core-files, which happens
somewhere in MPI_Init.

So to reenable them, you may have to insert something like

  getrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE, &rlim);
  rlim.rlim_cur = RLIM_INFINITY;
  setrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE, &rlim);
  signal(SIGFPE, SIG_DFL)

after the call of MPI_Init into main.c. You will also need a few more
header files for that in this file.

#include <sys/resource.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <signal.h>

Once this problem is solved, I would suggest to switch to gadget2. In
the latter, it's also (somewhat) easier to implement star formation.

Volker