are available now! See Program
Gas Accretion and Star Formation in Galaxies
10-14 September 2007
Garching bei München, Germany
This meeting addresses the
following question: How does gas get into galaxies and what are the
processes that regulate the rate at which it then turns into stars? The conference will bring together both
observational astronomers working at different wavelengths, using different techniques,
both at low and at high
redshifts. A list of topics
to be addressed in the conference is as follows:
1) HI observations of gas in
and around nearby galaxies.
2) The relation between atomic and molecular gas.
3) Insights into the gas-star cycle in galaxies from new pan-chromatic data sets.
4) Theoretical models and empirical constraints on the global efficiency with which gas is converted into stars in galaxies.
5) Gas inflow mechanisms.
6) Feedback processes in galaxies.
7) The nature of the WHIM. Does gas cool from the hot phase? Insights
8) Physical constraints on gas in the vicinity of galaxies from quasar absorption lines.
9) Star formation in high redshift galaxies.
10) The relation between star forming and outflowing gas in high
11) The nature of high redshift Ly-alpha clouds.
12) Looking towards ALMA and other future facilities.
Scientific Advisory Committee:
Jacqueline Bergeron (IAP), Andi
Burkert (MPIA), Chris Carilli (NRAO), Francoise Combes (ObsPM), Andy
Fabian (IoA), Reinhard Genzel (MPE), Ortwin Gerhard (MPE), Tim Heckman
(JHU), Guinevere Kauffmann (MPA), Rob Kennicutt (IoA), Eliot Quataert
(Univ. of California, Berkeley), Piero Rosati (ESO), Renzo Sancisi
(INAF), Ken Sembach (STScI), Mike Shull (Univ. of Colorado, Boulder),
Ian Smail (Durham), Jonathan Tan (ETH, Zurich)
Local Organizing Committee:
Guinevere Kauffmann (MPA), Dimitri
Gadotti (MPA), Maria Depner (MPA), Julius Donnert (MPA), Cornelia Rickl
(MPA), Peter Buschkamp (MPE), Elisabetta Valiante (MPE), Nicolas Bouche
(MPE), Emilio Donoso (MPA), Mario Schweitzer (MPE), Celine Eminian
(Univ. of Sussex)
For further information please contact us at: